1. Every Wednesday is an early release day; students will be dismissed at one o’clock.
2. May 10 is the MCT2 Quiz Bowl for 3rd grade at 12:30 in the gym. Parents are invited.
3. MCT2 testing will be May 14-17 for 3rd graders; parents, please encourage your students to do their best and make sure they get plenty of rest and eat breakfast.
4. 3rd grade will go to Percy Quin State Park on Monday, May 20.
5. Wednesday, May 22, we will have our annual parent meeting at 8:30 in the cafeteria on the south side.
6. Thursday, May 23, is our PTO sponsored Field Day. Kindergarten and 1st grade will participate in activities from 9:00-11:00; brown bag sack lunches will be served 11:00-12:00; 2nd and 3rd grades will participate in activities 12:00-2:00. All students will attend final activities 2:00-3:00.
7. Friday, May 24, we will have awards program. The kindergarten ears will receive their awards in the cafeteria on the north side beginning at 8:15; first grade awards will begin at 8:45; 3rd grade, at 9:30; 2nd, at 10:15. We will from one grade to the next as each grade finishes, so these are approximate times. We must be out of the cafeteria for lunch to begin at 11:00. This is the students last day.
8. Report cards will be mailed on May 29.
Thank you to parents who volunteer their time, who follow the drop- off and pick- up rules, and who read with their children at least twenty minutes daily. Thank you for supporting our PTO fund raisers!! Remember to visit the local library and read together as often as you can during the summer.
2, 9, 16, 23 – Good News Club
3,10,17,24 – Early release days at 1:00
2 – Pleasant Grove Head Start orientation at 10:00
4 – Kindergarten registration 8:00-2:00 at E.G.E. and Osyka Elementary
9, 11 – Magnolia Head Start orientation, 10:00
16 – Yale Head Start orientation, 10:00
18 – Progress Reports
22 – Earth Day
24 – Parent Advisory Council meeting, 2:00
25 – Parent/ Community Night, SPHS Auditorium, 6:00
Field Day – May 23, $12.00 includes t-shirt, which must be paid for by April 30. $5.00 for Field Day activities only (no t-shirt)
SAVE THE DATE: May 24 we will have our annual parent meeting at 8:30 and Awards Day begin inning at 9:00. Students’ last day of school is May 24.
Amanda Smith, a third grade teacher at Eva Gordon Elementary, was chosen by her peers as Teacher of the Month for February. Ms. Smith followed in the footsteps of both of her parents by graduating from South Pike High School; she received her degree from MS State University and is completing her fourth year of teaching. Ms. Smith is also the head coach of the South Pike High School softball team and enjoys following her dream of contributing to her district because she believes that education coupled with extracurricular activities makes well-rounded individuals. Amanda is married to Christopher Linge and they are raising three amazing daughters. She feels blessed to be involved in the daily process of influencing local children.
Mrs. Amy Herring, a third grade teacher at Eva Gordon Elementary, was chosen by her peers as Teacher of the Month for January and was presented to the South Pike School Board at its February meeting. Mrs. Herring graduated from Southeastern Louisiana and is currently working toward her masters’ degree at William Carey University. She is married to Steve Herring and has four beautiful children. Mrs. Herring teaches because she has a heart for children and wants to impact their lives in a positive way to become successful, productive citizens.
South Pike’s Teachers of the Month for January were recognized at the February board meeting. Representing Osyka Elementary is Terri Jefferson; South Pike Junior High, Bobbie Felder; Eva Gordon Elementary, Amy Herring; and Magnolia Elementary, Dominique Washington. Not pictured, for South Pike High School, Patricia Smith, and for the Career and Technical Center, Cynthia Slay.
The book fair is coming: Feb. 11th-15th in the Eva Gordon Elementary Library and online Feb. 6th-18th (books ordered online will be shipped to the school after the close of the online book fair on the 18th)
Go to scholastic.com/fair to shop.
Mr. James Todd of Osyka has been named Teacher of the Month for December at Eva Gordon Elementary. Mr. Todd, who received his undergraduate and masters degrees from Southeastern Louisiana University, has been an educator for thirty years.
Niki Gibson, a third grade teacher at Eva Gordon Elementary for four years, was selected as Teacher of the Month for November. Niki earned her B.S. in Elementary at University of Southern Mississippi. She is married to Neel Gibson of McComb. Niki loves children and her goal is to captivate her students by making learning fun every day.
December 5, 12, and 19 – early release (1 o’clock) Wednesdays
December 13 – PTO meeting at 5:30; Kindergarten Musical at 6:00. Students wear blue jeans and white shirts for the program.
December 21 – Celebration Assembly (Honor Roll, Good Behavior, Perfect Attendance) K and 1st 8:15 – 9:15; 2nd and 3rd 9:30 – 10:30 in the cafeteria.
December 21 – January 7 — Christmas holidays. Students return January 8.